Friday 28 September 2007

Hello Again..

http://www.aleladiane.com/menu.html
Check out Alela Diane. A fanatastic American Indian folk singer.. She's beautiful and incredible. I cannot recommend her enough. And if you like her... check out her pal Mary Sioux !

Anyways.. how are you all.... hahahahaha (I'm fine thanks, Love Me!)

Does anyone come about here ever? Why not drop in a comment and say Hi?

So what's been happenin'?

Can't wait to see Viggo et al in Eastern Promises. Never managed a trip to London to see Orlando B in "In Celebration" }:-(

Reading "Half a Yellow Sun" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
About the Biafran/Nigerian wars of late 60s /early 70s through the eyes of one half of a pair of twin sisters, the lover of the other sister and a servant boy. Superb novel. I work with a heap of Nigerian kids and it was fascinating to read a bit more about that country. (btw: heap isn't necessarily the collective noun for Nigerian kids! If I had to choose one though it would be "A smile of..")

I also loved Poisonwood Bible -Barbara Kingsolver (about American Missionary Family in Belgian Congo in 50s/60s)

Been thinking about Dad a lot and feeling alternatively depressed, high, crazy and angry. Coming out of it a bit now- which is a relief (for all around me; if not myself)

POEM? Two I think - as it's been so long since my last post..


Let Me Die a Youngman's Death

Let me die a youngman's death
not a clean and inbetween
the sheets holywater death
not a famous-last-words
peaceful out of breath death

When I'm 73
and in constant good tumour
may I be mown down at dawn
by a bright red sports car
on my way home
from an allnight party

Or when I'm 91
with silver hair
and sitting in a barber's chair
may rival gangsters
with hamfisted tommyguns burst in
and give me a short back and insides

Or when I'm 104
and banned from the Cavern
may my mistress
catching me in bed with her daughter
and fearing for her son
cut me up into little pieces
and throw away every piece but one

Let me die a youngman's death
not a free from sin tiptoe in
candle wax and waning death
not a curtains drawn by angels borne
'what a nice way to go' death

By Roger McGough


AND.....

A favourite for the ladies....



Warning - When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
and satin candles, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
and gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
and run my stick along the public railings
and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
and pick the flowers in other people's gardens
and learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
and eat three pounds of sausages at a go
or only bread and pickles for a week
and hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
and pay our rent and not swear in the street
and set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

By Jenny Joseph



IRONICALLY: Currently listening to The Who "Teenage Wasteland" Go go go go..... spin and turn and dance dance dance....

Til next time ya'll (Me!)

No comments: